Setup Instructions for Importing Timesheets.com Expense Data to QuickBooks Desktop
- Administrative access to QuickBooks
- Administrative access to Windows (QuickBooks does not support Mac)
- Administrative access to Timesheets.com
- Ability to access QuickBooks in Single User Mode
Step 1. Installing Import Software On Your PC
- In Timesheets.com, navigate to the Company Settings, then Data Export tab and finally click the QuickBooks Compatible Settings link.
- Click the DOWNLOAD QUICKBOOKS IMPORTER SETUP FILE button
There are two files inside the compressed file you will need to install:
- QBFC11 file
- Timesheets Setup file
- Run and install both files with default settings. Note: You must have the QuickBooks company file open in QuickBooks while you complete the installations of both files.
- When complete, you should see a new icon on your desktop that looks like the icon below. This is the importer app and you will use it when you’re ready to import your data.
Step 2. Setting Up QuickBooks
Each employee in QuickBooks and Timesheets.com must have the same employee number. Navigate to the Employee Center. Edit each employee and select the Additional Info tab. Locate the Account Number and enter a unique number for the employee in that field.
Each vendor in QuickBooks and user in Timesheets.com must have the same identification number. Navigate to the vendor Center. Reimbursable expenses are imported to vendors into QuickBooks. You will need to create a vendor for each user. If a user’s name is Robert Green, we recommend creating the vendor will have a “-AP” (accounts payable) after the name to avoid confusion. Then the vendor would be named “Robert Green-AP”. Edit the vendor and save the same employee number to the Payment Settings tab. You will later assign the same number to user settings in Timesheets.com.?
Customers and Projects
Customers in Timesheets.com import to QuickBooks as Customers or Clients. Projects import to QuickBooks as Jobs. In the example below, the customer is Aircar Industries, the project (or Job in QuickBooks) is Mercury.
You may enter Customers and Jobs into both Timesheets.com and QuickBooks directly, or you can create them initially in Timesheets.com and have Timesheets.com create them for you in QuickBooks during the import process. If customers and jobs are not activate, they can be reactivated automatically during the import.
Note that the spelling and capitalization of all list items (Customers, Projects, and Account Codes) in Timesheets.com and QuickBooks must match exactly or duplicates in QuickBooks may be created inadvertently during the import process. Also note that list items can be up to 41 characters (including blank spaces).
Account Codes and Service Items
QuickBooks requires a service item for each time entry. Account Codes in Timesheets.com are equivalent to Service Items in QuickBooks, so Account Codes used in Timesheets.com must match service items in QuickBooks.?
If you don’t use Account Codes, you’ll still need at least one. The default value in Timesheets.com is “Uncategorized”. Create this service item in QuickBooks.
Step 3. Setting Up Timesheets.com
In Timesheets.com, navigate to the employee’s settings by clicking on their name from the Dashboard. Then navigate to their Options tab and enter the same number from the QuickBooks setup into setting 1-A so that an employee or vendor in QuickBooks has the same number in Timesheets.com. This ensures time is imported to the proper timesheet in QuickBooks.
Step 4. Setting Up the Timesheets.com Importer
To setup the importer, put QuickBooks in single user mode. Double click the desktop icon installed in step 1 to start the importer. Running the importer for the first time will prompt QuickBooks top open a dialog box asking for permission to install the software.
- Select the 3rd option ‘Yes, whenever QuickBooks company file is open’
- Check the box ‘Allow this application to access personal data…’ (this option is necessary because the payroll module contains personal information’
- Click ‘continue’ and follow the prompts to complete the process.
You are now ready to import your data into QuickBooks.