Importing your Expenses to QuickBooks Desktop
Note: These instructions assume you have completed the setup instructions for Hourly Time to QuickBooks Desktop Edition.
Step 1. Exporting your Data
- In your Timesheets.com account, visit the Reports page and then the Customizable Expense Report.
- Select your date range and other filters for your download file.
- Once you’ve selected all the correct criteria, click the QuickBooks download button at the bottom of the page to initiate the download.
- Do not open the file. Instead, save it locally in a directory of your choice. Export files are saved in your Downloads directory unless you specify otherwise.
Step 2. Importing your Data to QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the Timesheets.com Importer App by double clicking the icon you installed on your desktop during setup.
- Click the Reimbursable Expenses button along the top of the app window. An ‘open’ window will appear. Find and select your downloaded file.
- When opened, your data will appear in the importer window. You can make any last minute changes to the data here by editing the cells directly.
- At the bottom of the importer app window, you can make several checkbox selections with respect to how to import your data including whether to mark expenses and billable or whether to create Customers if they aren’t found already in QuickBooks. Choose your appropriate selections.
- Click the Import to QuickBooks button in the bottom left to begin the import process.
- Once your data is imported, you’ll see a message confirming your import. You may now close the Timesheets.com Importer App. The data will have been written as bills against employee/vendors that you created during the expense setup process.
- Employees and vendors are compared between Timesheets.com and QuickBooks using their employee number, so exact spelling of names is no longer required, but other list items must have exact spelling and capitalization of names or the import will not work. This includes customers, jobs and service items.
- Expenses can be imported individually or as a single bill. They can also be imported as billable or not billable to the selected customer.
- When importing, if you select the checkbox option to create or reactivate customers and jobs, then the process will create or reactivate customers and jobs if they don’t already exist in QuickBooks at the time of the import.
- While projects can be used between multiple customers in Timesheets.com, this is not true in QuickBooks. QuickBooks requires each customer to have its own unique jobs even if they are named the same.