Importing your Payroll Report to QuickBooks Desktop
Note: These instructions assume you have completed the setup instructions for Hourly Time to QuickBooks Desktop Edition.
Step 1. Creating and Exporting a Payroll Report
Time for payroll is exported to QuickBooks using our payroll report. This allows us to send processed time data to QuickBooks with the appropriate Payroll Items already assigned. For this reason, you’ll first close your payroll period in Timesheets.com and then export the payroll report data.
- In Timesheets.com, create your payroll report using the Close Payroll Period process accessed from the left menu.
- Once your payroll period has been closed, click the blue export icon for your report and select the QuickBooks CSV format. (If you’re not ready to export immediately after closing the period, you can access Closed Payroll Reports any time from the Report page.)
- Click the Download button.
- Do not open the file. Instead, save it locally in a directory of your choice. Payroll export files are saved in your Downloads directory unless you specify otherwise.
Step 2. Importing your Payroll Data to QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the Timesheets.com Importer App by double clicking the icon you installed on your desktop during setup.
- Click the Hourly Time for Payroll button along the top of the app window. An ‘open’ window will appear. Find and select your downloaded file.
- When opened, your payroll data will appear in the importer window. You can make any last minute changes to the data here by editing the cells directly.
- Click the Import to QuickBooks button in the bottom left to begin the import process.
- Once your data is imported, you’ll see a message confirming your import. You may now close the Timesheets.com Importer App and begin your payroll process in QuickBooks. The payroll data will have been written to individual employee or contractor timesheets.
- Employees are compared between Timesheets.com and QuickBooks using their employee number, so exact spelling of names is no longer required, but other list items must have exact spelling and capitalization of names or the import will not work. This includes customers and jobs, service items, classes, and payroll items.
- Once the import process is complete, the payroll report data will be in QuickBooks on the weekly timesheets. When you run payroll, QuickBooks will notify you that you have unpaid time on your timesheets and ask you if you want to use that data for payroll.
- The Account Code from Timesheets.com can be configured to translate into any of these values:
- Service Item (default value)
- Payroll Item