Setup Instructions for Importing Timesheets.com Hourly Data to QuickBooks Desktop
- Administrative access to QuickBooks
- Administrative access to Windows (QuickBooks does not support Mac)
- Administrative access to Timesheets.com
- Ability to access QuickBooks in Single User Mode
Step 1. Installing Import Software On Your PC
- In Timesheets.com, navigate to the Company Settings, then Data Export tab and finally click the QuickBooks Compatible Settings link.
- Click the DOWNLOAD QUICKBOOKS IMPORTER SETUP FILE button
There are two files inside the compressed file you will need to install:
- QBFC11 file
- Timesheets Setup file
- Run and install both files with default settings. Note: You must have the QuickBooks company file open in QuickBooks while you complete the installations of both files.
When complete, you should see a new icon on your desktop that looks like the icon below. This is the importer app and you will use it when you’re ready to import your data.
Step 2. Setting Up QuickBooks
Begin by navigating to the QuickBooks Payroll Item list. You may enter payroll items for standard time, overtime, double time, and up to 6 types of time-off. You can name them however you like. Sample payroll items list:
Each employee in QuickBooks and Timesheets.com must have the same employee number. Navigate to the Employee Center. Edit each employee and select the Additional Info tab. Locate the Account Number and enter a unique number for the employee in that field.
Next, select the Payroll Info tab for each user and enter the necessary Payroll Items in the Earnings table as seen below. Check the box below the earnings table that says “Use time data to create paychecks”.
QuickBooks requires a service item for each imported hourly time entry. Account Codes in Timesheets.com are equivalent to Service Items in QuickBooks, so whatever Account Codes are used in Timesheets.com must also be created in QuickBooks as service items in order to import time. Also note that list items can be up to 41 characters (including blank spaces).
If you don’t use Account Codes for time tracking, you’ll still need at least one. The default value in Timesheets.com is “Uncategorized”. Create this service item in QuickBooks.
Step 3. Setting Up Timesheets.com
In Timesheets.com, navigate to the employee’s settings by clicking on their name from the Dashboard. Then navigate to their Options tab and enter the same number from the QuickBooks setup into setting 1-A so that an employee in QuickBooks has the same number in Timesheets.com. This ensures time is imported to the proper person’s weekly timesheet in QuickBooks.
Next, navigate to the Setup Wizard and select the Hourly tab. Scroll down to section 3. Make sure the Custom Labels for time-off match your existing Payroll Items as listed in QuickBooks.
Timesheets.com sample view:
Step 4. Setting Up the Timesheets.com Importer
To setup the importer, put QuickBooks in single user mode. Double click the desktop icon installed in step 1 to start the importer. Running the importer for the first time will prompt QuickBooks top open a dialog box asking for permission to install the software.
- Select the 3rd option ‘Yes, whenever QuickBooks company file is open’
- Check the box ‘Allow this application to access personal data…’ (this option is necessary because the payroll module contains personal information’
- Click ‘continue’ and follow the prompts to complete the process.
Click to the file menu of the importer application, and then click settings.
Enter the Payroll Item values into the fields and click Save. If you’re not using all 9 fields, copy the value for ‘1.0x Item Name’ (in this example ‘Standard Hours’) to the unused fields so they are not left blank.
You are now ready to import your data into QuickBooks.